Log in

Very late birth announcement. - A birth community for homebirthers etc. [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
A birth community for homebirthers etc.

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Very late birth announcement. [Dec. 23rd, 2007|09:52 pm]
A birth community for homebirthers etc.


Tyler Graham was born 12/11/2007 at 2:35 AM.

8 pounds 3 ounces, 20.9 inches

Type your cut contents here.
WE'll start with a picture.

This was the first pic of us all together.

OK, story time.

I was just going in because my BP was high Sunday the 9th at night to get checked.
IT was about 11 AM on the 10th and I went in to my docs and I was 234, up a few pounds from my last visit.
And my BP was high and I was very swollen.
My midwife said it was probably a good idea to induce me, and my mother and I agreed.
She didn't even want me to go home and get my things.

So, I was wheeled over from the POB to the Women's Pavilion at TMH and was admitted at about 1 PM.

They started me on Pitocin and I really didn't have much discomfort for a while.
The pitocin was up to 18 before I got uncomfortable.
At about 7 PM when my whole family and my friends were there, while we were watching Americas Funniest Videos it started to get really horrible. AFV was NO longer funny and I wanted EVERYONE out of the room.
So I sent my friends and my aunt and uncle home and contracted for a while with just my mother and boyfriend, then I was ready for my epidural.
They kicked my mom out and it was just Thomas and I, he held me as I leaned into him and they gave me the epidural, it was horrible for him apparently. I got a serious electric shock down my right leg, but it wasn't so bad.
Then they gave me a catheder which surprised me. I had no idea they would do that.

PS, I hate HATE ivs still, everyone said I wouldn't mind it, but it was the worst part about it ALL.

I was on my right side after that for about 45 mins, then they came in and told me that I needed to move so that the epi would move, but my legs were already totally numb. AS SOON as I got on my left side, it started to kinda hurt and I felt every contraction, some were up to 90 on the scale finally. I felt like I had to push for about 45 mins before the nurse thought I was really ready to push, then when she checked me, I was REALLY ready, and she had me push without my midwife for about 20 mins, then his head was about to come out, so she had me breathe through my contractions, even though it was KILLING me, while she went and woke up my midwife.
So all in all, I pushed for 47 mins.
The pushing was not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be.
When people ask me how it felt, when he came out, here's my answer, it felt like the biggest crap you ever had to take, added with the biggest orgasm you ever had, and then yeah, they lay this beautiful baby on you, and it's all worth it.
All the gestational diabetes, all the high blood pressure, all the everything, was worth it in the first 5 seconds he was on my chest.

My swelling didn't go down until day 4, after I was already home from the hospital.

We found out the day we left that his jaundice levels had gone up and they were really worried about that, so I had to go get his bilirubin levels checked first thing the day after we went home.
THey were very high, so I had to start supplementing, because my milk hadn't come in yet.
By the next day, his levels were MUCH better, but they still wanted me to supplement, 2 oz every 2 hours.

Also, he had a fractured collar bone.

My dog loves him,

The only real issue I have is our breastfeednig relationship has been sabotaged at this point, and we're trying every day to get it back.

He got a pretty bad yeasty diaper rash, but the doctor gave us special cream for it and it went away totally.

We got him circed friday.

Also, on Friday his belly button was stinky and a little juicy, so we took him to the Pedi and they ended up using silver nitrate on it and it fell off that same night.

He's already totally stolen my heart.

Here he is with my friend at 3 or 4 days old holding his own bottle.

second bath at home

MAD baby

When the boobie isn't enough :(

This was ALL grandmas idea.

So I was actually in the hospital about 4 days, but it was ok after all really.
I've already lost 26 pounds.

Anyway, I was 38 weeks even when I was induced and everything went really really well.

So far I've had a few freakouts, but nothing serious.
And I've already had sex once, so that helped, even though it was like a while new world.

Good luck to you ladies!


[User Picture]From: isarma
2007-12-24 04:21 am (UTC)
He's just beautiful:)

If you want to breastfeed, the best thing to do is to get rid of the artificial nipples. He shouldn't be having a paci, at all, this early, especially not if you're having breastfeeding problems. It can also damage latch and supply. The bottles are even worse:( Please have faith in yourself and your body. Watch his diapers and stop bottlefeeding. I hope you get it all worked out. Join breastfeeding - they'll help.
(Reply) (Thread)
From: sandramort
2007-12-24 08:25 am (UTC)
You guys are so lovely together! Also, I'd be happy to talk to you about how to get bf back on track, if you like. Feel free to AIM me at worfanddax.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: wifeofjoshua
2007-12-24 04:15 pm (UTC)
Congratulations! What a precious little on you have. :) Isn't it nice to have the umbilical stump finally fall off? :) My last little guy hung onto his for about a month, I think... I finally used some powdered goldenseal on it and it was like magic! :)
(Reply) (Thread)