|A supportive community.
||[Sep. 24th, 2007|02:02 pm]
A birth community for homebirthers etc.
In light of recent comments and posts in this community I feel that I must make a decision. No matter what I do I feel certain that I will make some enemies and I find that very upsetting. But I have to do what I have to do and there's not really a way to avoid it.
I have discussed this with the other Moderator and we have come to the same conclusion about what must be done.
I feel that the only solution is to honor the original intent for this community to be almost exclusively for homebirth moms and birth center moms.
Here are a few statements that will help clarify the purpose and belief of this community.
- This community is primarily for mamas birthing in free-standing birth centers and at home (unassisted or with a midwife). Obviously it is our belief that these are the best places in which to have a baby (Assuming the mom is healthy and is having a healthy and normal pregnancy). Normal birth should take place outside of the hospital whenever possible. Period.
- We are generally skeptical of hospitals, doctors, and the medical establishment at large no matter how wonderful any particular doctor or hospital seems to be.
- This is not a place to find hospital-birth support. We acknowledge that there is a great need for natural-birth support for hospital moms, but we are not here to fill that need.
- However, we want to support those moms who have no other choice but to give birth in a hospital because they *want* to be birthing at home and have had complications that completely barred them from that choice.
- If you are passionate that normal birth should occur outside of the hospital whether or not you are able to do so yourself, you are welcome here.
I believe one of our members here has already created a natural-birth supportive community for moms who have chosen the hospital route and she is welcome to advertise that here if she so desires. I am glad that there will be some support to be found there that is very lacking here. And I personally apologize for that.
I am not kicking anyone out. Everyone can stay if they desire. If you feel uncomfortable here, I am very sorry. It is my fault.
I am new to moderating and these complications somewhat blindsided me. When I first started the community out of my own desire to have a homebirth/birth center due date community I didn't put a lot of thought into those who applied to join and I felt it was too mean to turn anyone away which defeated the purpose of my own original intent so that is completely my fault.
I do want this to be a place of support for those of us with the foundational belief that normal birth is best facilitated outside of a hospital environment and obviously our posts and comments would hopefully reflect that.
I also beg everyone to please respect each others minor differences and try to offer support as much as possible because we all want these things first and foremost: Healthy pregnancies, healthy natural births, and healthy babies! I believe that our chances at achieving that-- at home, in a birth center, or at a hospital-- are best when surrounded by a supportive group of like-minded women who can help each other out!
I wish everyone the best in their pregnancies and birth plans and hope your birth is an amazing natural experience for you!